Monday 3 March 2014

My Happy Project - World is getting better but we still have work to do

My Happy Project: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Continuing with the ideas of gratitude I here are the 3 things that I am grateful for today:
  1. My office window allowing me to feel the warmth of the sunshine
  2. A reliable car that will get me to where I need to go
  3. The internet allowing me to access information on any topic

Today's video is not directly about happiness but it continues along the same ideas that Hank Green discussed in my previous post.

I have a special place in my heart and mind for Bill Nye as my high school science teach used to play Bill Nye videos quite often in class.  The class would have to shout along with the intro, "BILL BILL BILL BILL, Bill Nye the science guy!"  This is Bill Nye many years later still passionate about science.  This video is titled, "Bill Nye, Science Guy, Dispels Poverty Myths"



Bill explains that the following about child deaths 5 years and under
  • 6% injuries
  • 11% non-communicable diseases (i.e. cancer)
  • 83% communicable / preventable diseases
Bill further explains very quickly that foreign aid has helped reduce child mortality by half. "We have a real opportunity to leave the world better than we found it."

I am uplifted by this very quick video because it shows that we can change the world and we already have made significant improvements to child mortality.  I wonder what else has been accomplished by humanity that we don't even realize. Changing your energy to realize what we have accomplished will motivate us to work harder to try and tackle the next big challenges.


My Happy Project: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

No comments:

Post a Comment